Strawberry Salad with Homemade Croutons and Lemon Dijon Vinaigrette
- 6 slices of bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Juice of one small lemon (about 2 tablespoons)
- 1/2 tsp dijon mustard
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1 bunch spinach, stems removed
- 1/4 red onion or shallot, sliced thin
- 2 ounces blue cheese crumbles
- 1 package Driscoll’s Strawberries
- 3 slices of white bread
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
Prepare the dressing: In a small bowl, whisk the red wine vinegar, extra virgin olive oil, lemon juice, dijon mustard, salt and pepper together. Set aside in the refrigerator while you assemble the salad.
Make the croutons: Preheat the oven to broil and line a baking sheet with foil. Slice the bread into 1 inch cubes and arrange them on the baking sheet in a single layer. Spray the bread with cooking spray, then sprinkle with parmesan cheese. Shake and turn the cubes over, repeating the process. Bake for 2-3 minutes, checking frequently to prevent them from burning.
Assemble the salad: Wash the spinach and remove the leaves from the stems. Leave the leaves whole unless they’re really big. Add the thin slices of onion, blue cheese, Driscoll Strawberries, crispy bacon pieces and croutons. Drizzle 1-2 tablespoons of the vinaigrette on top.
All Done! Enjoy!