Time: about 1 hr 15 mins
Suggested portion: 1 slice
Yield: 1 cake
“This amazing pancake stack is filled with natural goodness. By using organic veggies, you ensure a good cocktail of vitamins, minerals and anti-oxidants to boost the health of the whole family. If opting for organic veggies, you do not have to peel them, since most of the nutritional value is in or right beneath the skin or peel and it is a good source of dietary fibre. By including such as variety of organic veggies in a meal, one will ensure a good supply of minerals and anti-oxidants, both important to prevent serious degenerative diseases like cancer. Onions reduce water retention and mucous build-up, reduce inflammation, aid circulation and are beneficial for the heart.” – Heidi du Preez
- 1 organic onion, finely sliced
- ½ tsp (2 ml) honey
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) macadamia or olive oil
- 2 large cloves garlic, crushed
- a large handful (80 g) organic green beans, sliced lengthways or left whole if they are small
- 2 large organic carrots, finely sliced
- 2 large brown mushrooms, sliced
- 2 organic leeks, finely sliced
- 1 organic red pepper, deseeded and finely sliced
- a large handful (80 g) of organic mini rosa tomatoes, halved
- 2 tbsps (30 ml) macadamia or olive oil
- ½ – 1 tsp (2 – 5 ml) herbal salt
Pesto Pancakes – makes about 8
- 1 cup (170g / 250 ml) stone-ground whole wheat flour (unbleached)
- 1 tsp (5 ml) Baking Powder (aluminium-free)
- ½ tsp (2 ml) unrefined salt
- 1 extra large organic or free-range egg
- 1 tsp (5 ml) macadamia or olive oil
- 1 tsp (5 ml) apple cider vinegar (natural and unsulphured), or freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 cup (250 ml) filtered water, plus ½ – 1 cup extra if needed
- 2 tbsps (30 ml) or Basil Pesto or 30g fresh organic basil (washed and dried, large stalks removed)
- macadamia or olive oil, for frying
- ½ x 250 g tub organic smooth cream or cottage cheese
- Preheat the oven to 180˚C.
- (Roast veggies) Combine onions, oil and honey in a small bowl and coat well. Place them on the outer edges of a large roasting pan and then add the remaining veggies, oil and seasoning and once again, combine well to coat evenly. Bake for 30 – 45 minutes on top shelf until they are tender (turn once during cooking). Leave the oven on.
- (Pancakes) Meanwhile, lightly brush a medium-sized shallow frying pan with the oil. Sift the dry ingredients together in a medium bowl and stir well. Mix the egg, oil and vinegar / lemon juice together in a large bowl. Blitz the basil pesto or fresh leaves and water in a blender. Add the blended basil liquid to the egg mixture, combine and then slowly add the dry ingredients, stirring to form a very thin watery batter, using the additional water as needed as the batter thickens on standing. Pour the batter into a jug for ease of use when frying. Fry each pancake until the edges begin to lift, flip over and cook the other side until all the batter is used up. Set pancakes aside until needed.
- (To finish) Lay one pancake down on the serving dish and spread with the the cheese. Place a thin layer of veggies on top followed by another pancake. Repeat the process, building up 3 or 4 layers. Store the leftover pancakes in the fridge.
- Heat up the cake in the still hot oven for a few minutes, slice into quarters and serve.
- Anti-candida, if using fresh basil, lemon juice, olive oil, cottage cheese, leaving out the honey and replacing mushrooms with ½ sliced brinjal
- Nut-free, if using fresh basil in place of pesto and opting for olive oil
- Vegetarian, if pesto and cheese do not contain animal rennet