Kombucha is a symbiotic culture of bacteria and yeast (SCOBY) that forms a zoolgleal mat. This unique beverage has been used for over 2000 years to improve health and fight against infection and chronic disease. The Ancient Chinese called Kombucha the “Immortal Health Elixer” as they revered it for its remarkable health benefits.
Kombucha cultures typically contains many strains of beneficial yeasts that turn sugar into alcohol. One particular strain of bacteria, Gluconacetobacter xylinus ferments the alcohol from the yeast into acetic acid. This lowers the alcohol content in the Kombucha and increases the probiotic metabolite content. Learn more about Kombucha
Kombucha Tea Recipe - 1-Gallon
Scale up or down depending on the size of your vessel
- 1 cup sugar
- 4-6 bags tea - for loose leaf, 1 bag of tea = 1 tsp
- Kombucha Starter Culture – SCOBY
- 1 cup starter liquid
- purified/bottled water
- tea kettle
- brewing vessel
- cloth cover
- rubber band
- Boil 4 cups of water.
- Add hot water & tea bags to pot or brewing vessel.
- Steep 5-7 minutes, then remove tea bags.
- Add sugar and stir to dissolve.
- Fill vessel most of the way with purified water, leaving just 1-2 inches from the top for breathing room with purified cold water.
- Add SCOBY and starter liquid.
- Cover with cloth cover and secure with the rubber band.
- Say a prayer, send good vibes, commune with your culture (optional but recommended).
- Set in a warm location out of direct sunlight (unless vessel is opaque).
- Do not disturb for 7 days.
- After 7 days, or when you are ready to taste your KT, gently insert a straw beneath the SCOBY and take a sip. If too tart, then reduce your brewing cycle next time. If too sweet, allow to brew for a few more days. Continue to taste every day or so until you reach your optimum flavor preference. Your own Kombucha Tea Recipe may vary.
- Decant & flavor (optional).
- Drink as desired! Start off with 4-8oz on an empty stomach in the morning, then with meals to help with digestion or as your body tells you it would like some more! Drink plenty of water as it is a natural detoxifyer and you want to flush the newly released toxins out.